Get Healthy

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The "Fountain Of Youth" is REAL!

As a Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Coach, I'm often asked questions about both exercise and diet.  I answer most questions with three answers:  (1) Weight loss (especially shrinking your abs) is 80% determined in the kitchen, (2) Exercise is the "Fountain of Youth", and (3) You MUST lift to lose.

Allow me to expand on these answers:


Weight Loss is 80% determined in the kitchen

Your diet will determine if you lose or gain weight.  Pretty simple.  Yes, there are other nominal, outside factors, but for the most part, you are what you eat.  ...AND, I would go a step further and say that the VAST majority of modern diseases can be avoided or cured based upon what you are feeding your body.

  • I am a firm believer in purchasing organics, especially for the "Dirty Dozen".  
  • I'm a firm believer in limiting animal products (especially those that are full of hormones and have been contaminated with GMO's).  
  • I'm a firm believer in the health benefits of juicing.  
  • I'm a firm believer in "clean eating".  
  • I'm a firm believer in avoiding unhealthy things like:  artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavors, preservatives, trans-fats, high fructose corn syrup, processed foods, sodas (including diet), alcohol (in moderation), products containing GMO's, and high amounts of sugar.
The bottom line is:  If you clean up your diet...you WILL lose weight!  This one change alone, will cause your body to change in ways that you never thought possible...even if you NEVER exercise!


Exercise Is The "Fountain of Youth"

Now, I know that I just told you that you can lose weight without exercising...yes, this is true.  ...BUT, you MUST exercise to keep your body young as you age.  Motion is lotion!  Your joints need to move...think of the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz...if you don't move your joints, it's like not oiling them...they WILL eventually stiffen up and become painful and difficult to move.  How often have we seen an elderly person with limited, or no mobility?  Aging is inevitable (and beats the alternative), but if we move our bodies throughout our lives,  they will continue to move...even as we get older.

Being a Certified Personal Trainer, I highly recommend that if you've been sedentary for a prolonged period of time, or if you're not seeing the results that you want in the gym, please find a qualified, certified, licensed, insured Personal Trainer for at least 8 - 10 sessions.  I know first hand the benefits of a Personal Trainer.  Years ago, when I was 80 pounds heavier, I spent the money for a gym, I worked out on my own, but didn't see the results that I wanted...at least, not until I hired a Personal Trainer.  I was wasting my time and money.  Why?  Because I didn't know how to properly exercise, and I also didn't know what the correct exercises were that my body needed in order to get the results that I wanted.  It's amazing to me that so many people will invest the time and money...FOR YEARS...and NEVER get the results they want!  Stop wasting your time and money!  You wouldn't go to court without a good attorney...you wouldn't try to treat cancer on your own...you wouldn't try to build a bridge without an architect, then WHY on earth would you try to change and improve your body without the help of a professional...someone trained to help you get the results that you want...in the shortest amount of time possible.


You MUST Lift to Lose

I've preached this one on several occasions.  Lifting weight can help to slow the aging process...AND the FAT gaining process.  See, as we age, we lose muscle.  As we lose lean, compact muscle, it's replaced with fluffy FAT! I hope you have a visual of what that means to your body composition...think size 8 jeans vs. size 12 jeans...   CLICK HERE for an in depth explanation of what happens to your muscles as you age.  

I tell people again, and again, again why they MUST lift in order to lose...sometimes I feel like no one is listening!  When I talk about "lifting", I don't mean 100's of pounds...I don't mean using those "scary" machines at the gym...and I certainly don't mean bulking up like a body builder...I mean, simply using your own body weight, and a set of 5 - 15 pound hand weights.  You got this!  

It is scientifically proven that lifting weight produces greater fat loss than cardio!  ...AND you only need to lift 3 days per week to see results.  So what are you weighting on?  You aren't sure what exactly to do?  That's ok, a Personal Trainer can teach you...there's nothing to be afraid of, and you have NOTHING to lose...but fat...and weight!  





1 comment:

  1. Anxietysupport4u is made with a purpose to be a one-stop solution for all your Anxiety related queries. The idea behind the website is to create awareness about Anxiety and answer all the questions related to the medicine.

    Anxietysupport4u
    Xanax Vs. Valium
    Weight Loss

    ReplyDelete